Back Pain is a very common condition that will affect between 70-90% of the population at some point of their life. It may come as a surprise that back pain is also the 2nd leading cause of disease burden in Australia, where 2 in 5 people report that back pain moderately interfered with daily activities.
Back pain can be due to many factors including, disc pathology leading to nerve compression (Sciatica), osteoarthritis, bone problems (e.g. osteoporosis and factures), connective tissue pain from muscles, scoliosis and nerve sensitisation.
Symptoms may include:
- Pain in the lower, middle and upper back regions
- Pain radiating into the glute region, legs and feet
- Tingling and numbness into the legs/feet
- Weakness in the legs
- Cauda equina symptoms, which are rare but very serious (e.g. saddle paraesthesia and bowel and bladder dysfunction)
Although suffering from back pain can be incredibly unbearable there are some effective treatment options available. At Robina Physio we use multiple tools to get your better as quick as possible. Effective treatments include soft tissue massage, dry needling and acupuncture, supportive taping, heat packs and of course an exercise program incorporating stretching and strengthening components.
When it comes to managing back pain (especially chronic pain), knowledge is power. Therefore, you can expect an element of education and reassurance as an integral part of your treatment with us.
Thankfully, there are also a number of modifiable risk factors that can help minimise the chance of suffering from debilitating back pain in your life. Factors that can increase your chance of suffering back pain include:
- Physical Inactivity
- Being overweight
- Occupational hazards (e.g. Repetitive very heavy lifting and prolonged sitting)
Now you may be thinking how does all this information help fix my back pain. That’s why I have included my 3 favourite best bang for your buck exercises to help treat lower back pain.
- Walking: I know it seems too simple right? But it’s incredibly effective and even better it’s cheap and easy.
- Cobra Stretch: For the majority of people this will help relieve disc related back. Only go as far as your feel comfortable. Please note if this make your symptoms worse stop immediately. (Picture from Telehab).
- Glute Bridge: Very effective at starting to build core and glute strength with minimal risk. (Picture from Telehab)
If you need expert assistance managing and recovering from back pain the physiotherapist’s at Robina Physio on the Gold Coast would love to be part of your journey and help. Call us on (07)55787233 and our friendly reception team will make you a booking.